31 July 2013 - 31 December 2013
The Anglo-Saxon Display offered an interesting insight into the history of the Anglo-Saxons in the North East of England.
The display included items from an Anglo-Saxon Cemetery at Andrew’s Hill of the 6th century AD, near Easington, discovered in 1991. Although the archaeological finds were damaged by over 250 years of agricultural activities, many interesting pieces were recovered and found, including two exceptional cruciform brooches, hinting at early ties to Christianity. The pieces are elaborate, and show the skill and creativity of the early Anglo-Saxons. There is little evidence of Anglo-Saxon settlements in the North East, making these discoveries very significant.
Another of the objects, a fragment of the Wycliffe Stone Cross, is included in ‘A History of the North East in 100 Objects’ along with The Bowes Museum itself. View these items at 100objectsne.co.uk. Found in 1778 by Marmaduke Tunstall of Wycliffe Hall, the 8th Century fragment was ‘re-discovered’ in 1933 by a curator of The Bowes Museum. A faint inscription gives us an insight into a dialect of the Northumbrian region, the former Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Bernicia.
The display included examples of Anglo-Saxon book illustration in a volume showing facsimile pages from the Lindisfarne Gospels and a reconstructed pot, found at Catterick and dating from the 6th century, on which the crude decoration is still clear.