The old fire station, on Crook Lane, at the back of the Museum has been used as a large object store for several decades. A 1948 facilities appraisal stated “Former commercial premises adapted for use during the reign of the National Fire Service but suitable for use for some years to come” (www.ddfire.gov.uk). By 1969 it was out of use, as a new, modern Fire Station was built immediately behind it, on Wilson Street. The Museum took over the space, using it as an object store for archaeological and social history items.
An old photograph of the Fire Station in Barnard Castle [Image from www.ddfire.gov.uk]
The Old Fire Station on Crook Lane, Barnard Castle, Summer 2015
The store contained a range of archaeological material; including stone altars – weighing over half a ton each – and a range of social history objects, including a biere (coffin carrier).
Scargill Roman Altar Stone [1958.1458 RIB 732]
Biere – Given in memory of E. Kathleen McCullagh of Gillingwood House, Romaldkirk, 1937
The first thing to be moved were hundred of bags, and crates, of animal bones and horns, from Roman Piercebridge and Chester-le-Street archaeological excavations.
Animal bone and horn, at the new store
With the help of Liam Glasper and Ashley Tunstall stonemasons, all the large stones were palleted, and moved by David Ward from Dunhouse Quarry.
Palleted sections of a fireplace, made from Frosterly marble
Wardy loading stones onto the Dunhouse Quarry lorry
Filling Gary’s van with panelling
Once the large stones were moved Gary Burton and his team (Gary Burton Removals) came in and safely moved the rest of the collection.
Objects in the temporary store
In total it took 32 trips in Luton Vans, 4 trips by lorry – approximately 1,200 miles and 20 ton of objects have been relocated.
Karen Barker, Regional Conservator